BOF Doctoral Scholarships
UNU-CRIS is pleased to announce that Ghent University, one of its strategic partners, has launched this year’s call for two PhD Scholarships for research at UNU-CRIS.
The scholarships are initially awarded for 2 years. After an intermediate evaluation, a second term of maximum 2 years can be granted. The aim is to obtain a doctoral degree within a time span of 4 years. Please note, these scholarships are very competitive and only people who have outstanding proposals and excellent study results will be considered.
UNU-CRIS welcomes in particular proposals that fit one of its research programs, but other proposals that relate to the UN and its goals may also be considered.
UNU-CRIS will assist those candidates with a realistic chance of obtaining a scholarship in contacting potential PhD supervisors at Ghent University and in discussing suggestions for research proposals. To be considered for such assistance, please submit an expression of interest (see below).
1 October 2019
The amount of the scholarship is approximately € 2.150 per month, depending on the family status of the scholar. Based on the advice of the Research Council, a bench fee of € 7.440 (€ 310/month) will be awarded to the supervisor per term of 2 years.
- By the start of the fellowship, candidates must hold a master's degree from a university in one of the countries of the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
- The master’s degree must have been obtained not earlier than 3 years before the closing date of the call.
- Only for candidates with excellent study results visible in their academic transcripts.
- Only for candidates with an excellent command of the English language demonstrated through a writing sample.
- No restrictions on nationality or age.
Expressions of Interest
- Motivation letter (1 side of A4) this must include; your research interests, academic track record and competences and how these fit with the proposed research project.
- A research proposal which includes; title of the research proposal, background and aims, research question(s), methodology and timing (max. 4 sides of A4, including references)
- University transcripts
- A writing sample: the applicant’s master’s thesis or another academic paper.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the 31 March 2019 and will then be assisted in finding a suitable supervisor at Ghent University and fulfilling Ghent University’s application requirements.
2 May 2019 (23.59 Belgian time)
If you have any additional questions related to the application process please contact Rory Johnson (email@example.com).