BOF Doctoral Scholarships
UNU-CRIS is pleased to announce that Ghent University, one of its strategic partners, has launched this year’s call for one PhD Scholarship for research at UNU-CRIS.
The scholarship is initially awarded for 1 year. After an intermediate evaluation, a second term of (maximum) 3 years can be granted. The aim is to obtain a doctoral degree within a time span of 4 years. Please note, these scholarships are very competitive and only people who have outstanding proposals and excellent study results will be considered.
Proposals must be aligned with UNU-CRIS' research programmes and clearly state which cluster they would best fit within.
26 April 2021 (23.59 Belgian time)
In order to ensure your application receives the UNU-CRIS label (more information below), please contact us by 16 April at the latest. Inquiries received after this date may not be considered.
(from) 1 October 2021
The amount of the scholarship is approximately € 2.225 per month, depending on the family status of the scholar. A bench fee of € 310/month will be awarded to the promoter.
This call is only open for:
(1) Candidates who have submitted an eligible application in 2021 for:
- the call FWO PhD Fellowship fundamental research (FO) with deadline 1 March 2021
- the call FWO PhD Fellowship strategic basic research (SB) with deadline 1 March 2021
(2) Candidates who haven't applied for an FWO PhD Fellowship fundamental research or an FWO PhD Fellowship strategic basic research in 2021, but who are eligible to apply for one of both calls in 2022 (deadline 1 March 2022).
There are no restrictions on nationality, age or research topic.
Some key requirements include:
- By the start of the fellowship, candidates must hold a master's degree from a university in one of the countries of the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
- The master’s degree must have been obtained no earlier than 3 years before the closing date of the call.
- Excellent study results visible in their academic transcripts.
- An excellent command of the English language demonstrated through a writing sample.
Further information can be found at: https://www.ugent.be/en/research/funding/bof/doc/candidates.htm
Required UNU-CRIS Label
A statement by Dr. Philippe De Lombaerde, Director ad interim of UNU-CRIS, should be added to the application form, in which he supports your application. To apply for a UNU-CRIS label, please complete the form here.