BOF Doctoral Scholarships
UNU-CRIS is pleased to announce that Ghent University, one of its strategic partners, has launched this year’s call for three PhD Scholarships for research at UNU-CRIS.
The scholarships are initially awarded for 1 year. After an intermediate evaluation, a second term of (maximum) 3 years can be granted. The aim is to obtain a doctoral degree within a time span of 4 years. Please note, these scholarships are very competitive and only people who have outstanding proposals and excellent study results will be considered.
Proposals must be aligned with UNU-CRIS' research programmes and clearly state which cluster they would best fit within.
28 April 2022 (23.59 Belgian time)
In order to ensure your application receives the UNU-CRIS label (more information below), please contact us by 22 April at the latest. Inquiries received after this date may not be considered.
(from) 1 October 2022
The amount of the scholarship is approximately € 2.225 per month, depending on the family status of the scholar. A bench fee of € 310/month will be awarded to the promoter.
This call is only open for:
(1) Candidates who have submitted an eligible application in 2022 for:
- the call FWO PhD Fellowship fundamental research (FO) with deadline 1 March 2022
- the call FWO PhD Fellowship strategic basic research (SB) with deadline 1 March 2022
(2) Candidates who haven't applied for an FWO PhD Fellowship fundamental research or an FWO PhD Fellowship strategic basic research in 2022, but who are eligible to apply for one of both calls in 2023 (deadline 1 March 2023).
There are no restrictions on nationality, age or research topic.
Some key requirements include:
- By the start of the fellowship, candidates must hold a master's degree from a university in one of the countries of the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
- The master’s degree must have been obtained no earlier than 3 years before the closing date of the call.
- Excellent study results are an absolute requirement when applying for a BOF doctoral scholarship. To be taken into consideration, applicants preferably belong at least to the top 15% best students of the group of fellow students who took exams for the same degree (both on bachelor and master level). Applicants with a lower candidate score have very little chance of getting a BOF doctoral scholarship.
- An excellent command of the English language demonstrated through a writing sample.
Further information can be found at: https://www.ugent.be/en/research/funding/bof/doc
Required UNU-CRIS Label
A statement by Dr. Philippe De Lombaerde, Director ad interim of UNU-CRIS, should be added to the application form, in which he supports your application. To apply for a UNU-CRIS label, please complete this form.